Monday, August 20, 2012

Pinterest Summer Recipe Challenge: Red Velvet Brownies

If you are a Pinterest addict like I am, you'll know that sometimes you pin ideas that you, for all intents and purposes, plan to try at some point. My recipe board, Nyam, is full of those. I decided that this summer, I'm actually going to make use of this board and try these recipes out. My goal is 1-2 recipes per week, and I'm calling it my Pinterest Summer Recipe Challenge. You can find more of my challengers here.

I've never had "from scratch" brownies before. It's one of those foods (sort of like mac n cheese) that I always assumed began it's life in a box. To no one's surprise but my own, a lot of our quick and easy, "junk", out-of-the-box, traditional American foods really did come from home cookin'. Yes, I was impressed.

So then I find a combination for my love of brownies and red velvet. I love red velvet cupcakes, cake, you name it. I know that for the most part many red velvet recipes are just chocolate cake with red food coloring added.. but maybe it's all about presentation for me. I bet if someone were to give me a "blue velvet" cake I'd be just as in love. The greatest common denominator = chocolate. Hence, I just love chocolate. (ps- that wasn't a secret by any means!)

I present to you the love child from two of my favorite desserts:


You will need:
1 cup of unsalted butter, at room temperature
4 large eggs, at room temperature
1 1/2 cups of sugar
1 1/2 cups of brown sugar
red food coloring*
4 teaspoons of vanilla extract
2 1/2 cups of flour
6 teaspooons of unsweetened cocoa powder (I used Hershey's)
1/2 teaspoon of salt
*The original recipe calls for 2 oz of red food coloring. As I was making the batter, I did a double take and realized.. HOLY CRAP that is a lot of food coloring and I don't have that much! So, I used up my one bottle of 1 oz of red food coloring. See below for results.

You will do:
1. Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Grease a 9 x 13 inch pan.
2. My little trick for bringing butter or eggs up to room temperature without having to wait a very long time is to put them in a bowl that is filled with slightly hotter than luke warm water. You don't want to put them into hot water because then your butter will melt and your eggs will cook.
3. Cream the butter and sugars.
4. Add one egg at a time, mix well between eggs.
5. Add vanilla and red food coloring. Be sure to scrape down the sides of your bowl as you go to make sure that you're mixing the color in completely into the batter (unless you want swirly brownies!).
6. In a separate bowl, combine flour, cocoa powder and salt. Mix together.

7. Slowly incorporate flour mixture into red mixture. Scrape down the sides often.
8. Pour the batter into the greased pan and bake for about 30 minutes.
Verdict: If you're looking for the all American brownie flavor that we've all grown to know and love, get the boxed version. But if you're looking for something a little classier, not necessarily middle school dessert style, go for these. They were oh-so-moist!


This recipe is brought to you by:

ps: weird Penny fact:
she *loves* sleeping with something partially covering her face. ??

1 comment:

  1. Omgosh my friend's daughter is like that too!! She has to have something over or pushed up against her face!! So funny :) Btw these red velvet brownies sounds amazing!! Ive been looking for something to bring for the 4th of july!! Think natural food coloring would give me the same red result??

    ReplyDelete

ShareThis

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...