Thursday, May 16, 2013

Guest Post: Simple and Effective Tips for a Healthy and Natural Pregnancy

I'd like to introduce Katie, the mama over at Moore from Katie
She blogs about being a SAHM, healthy living and baking.. My kind of gal! 
Read on for her guest post on a few tips on having a healthy pregnancy...

  
Many women do not think about living a natural lifestyle until they become pregnant.  There is something about walking around with a tiny baby inside you, knowing you are responsible for its health and safety that changes the way women think.  This knowledge propelled me into action and really triggered a new type of alertness in my mind.  The simple fact that I knew I was carrying my baby in my belly made me much more conscious of the chemicals I was around, the foods I ate, and how I took care of my body in general.  This awareness led me on a path of living naturally, and I would not change a minute of this exciting new journey!

To start off with, I should first say that embracing a natural way of living is a unique combination of affordable and expensive.  It can be very reasonably priced, or it can be a very costly way to live.  It all depends where you get your natural products and which type of changes you want to make to your lifestyle!

As I became more aware of my body and conscious of what I ate, I realized that my dietary habits needed these changes. Even though I thought I was making healthy choices, I realized that my diet was high in processed foods with unnatural additives, saturated fat, sugar and salt. With attention to the ingredients in food items, I was able to decrease the intake of processed foods quite easily without becoming a fanatic with eating strictly organically. Also, the transition to healthy eating did not cost more money as I originally thought.

For example, I realized upon investigation that many of the household cleaners I was using contained harmful chemicals that I was breathing in.  These breathed-in chemicals go directly to my baby!  To avoid this, I began making my own simple and effective household cleaners by mixing baking soda with vinegar and water.  Adding a little lemon or orange zest gives this simple and organic cleaning solution a light and citrus-smelling scent that makes my house look and smell clean!  This type of natural change really made a big difference, it was very cost-effective and it was an extremely easy change to make!  I saved money on expensive cleaners by making my own.

One area where it can be expensive to live naturally during and after pregnancy is purchasing clothing and other baby products.  It is important to read about the dye products that are in many new types of clothing materials.  To avoid purchasing clothing that may have harmful chemicals, you can shop for organic clothing, which is also called environmentally-friendly clothing.  Not only are these items typically free of harmful chemicals, they are also usually recycled and natural materials, which promote a more Earth-friendly environment.  You can also save money by stitching together your own curtains from your favorite old T-shirts and blue jeans!

Switching to a more natural lifestyle can be fun, easy and rewarding in the end.  I was fortunate enough to have a doctor who provided a wealth of information about many subjects including healthy eating, birthing options, cord blood banking and so much more.  Check with your doctor before making any changes during your pregnancy, and enjoy your new healthy lifestyle!

Katie Moore has written and submitted this article. Katie is an active blogger who discusses the topics of motherhood, children, fitness, health and all other things Mommy. She enjoys writing, blogging, and meeting new people! To connect with Katie contact her via her blog, Moore From Katie or her twitter, @moorekm26.

No comments:

Post a Comment

ShareThis

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...